Saturday, February 16, 2008

Love is in the Air...

"What's the difference between a booger and broccoli?"
"Kids will eat broccoli."

Yes-- that was my date's shining moment at dinner on Thursday night. (Also known as Valentine's Day!)
He was about 60+ yrs old.

I went out to eat with my grandparents & one of their friends (Les) at a quaint little seafood restaurant in P-town. I love elderly people. I have a strong belief that anyone who doubts the wisdom of someone significantly older than them is just plain ignorant. Watching Les tell stories about his grandchildren or share about his days in Albania was was nothing less than inspiring. I'm convinced every crevice and wrinkle on his face isn't a result of old age but a result of passion, excitment, and a zeal for life. I'll never forget the way his face lit up when he was talking about the time he treated 12 Albanian teenagers to a meal at the Stephen's Center (my grandparent's restaurant). His voice got a little louder and his wrinkles a little deeper when he said in his shaky southern accent, "I told them they could order anything on the menu. They said, 'Anything?!'. I said, 'Yep, anything, you can have pizza, you can have a burger, you can have both!'"

It was the best date EVER. Afterward I rode home with my grandparents all curled up in a deep blue Afghan in the backseat. I made a rule that no one was allowed to speak English until we got home (except for me, of course). It was pure bliss.

My grandparents asked me about a week ago to come to Albania with them this summer & start a kids program at one of the churches they planted. They said I could work in the restaurant. Visit orphanages. I'd stay for about a month. I'm praying about it. I'm praying HARD. I know that if I stay the Lord will do great things here and give me plenty of opportunities. I know that if I go, I'll never want to come back.

I know that either way, God will be ever-present.

That's why He's my Valentine. & while we're in the mood...
Let me tell you that there's nothing I wouldn't give to be with Him in eternity.
& yet everything I can offer is already His.
What a beautiful sacrifice.

No comments: