Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hallowed Be Thy Name

I attend a Bible study for a group of middle school girls every Tuesday night. About two weeks ago, Em & I had no particular "lesson plan" and ended up letting the girls talk about a bunch of stuff that they struggle with or are curious about. Let me tell you, the time we have together is powerful. I think I learn more than they do a lot of the time. I might go so far as to say that these 2 hours of the week are more inspiring than all the other 166 hrs put together (but that all depends on the week). There's nothing like seeing what the Lord is doing in the lives of His followers--especially those of an unblemished, childlike faith. One of our girls shared about how she doesn't read her Bible as often as she should. But, every time she does, she cries. Unfailing. Obviously, we started asking her why she cries. Does she feel guilty? Does she get frustrated? Nope, she just loves reading God's Word so much that she cries. If you ask me, she cries because she sees more clearly than the rest of us that this is God actually speaking. I know that if God came and stood in front of me, pouring His words over me, I would cry, because I don't think there's a more comforting & freeing thing than hearing even the faintest whisper of my Father.

I've been living with my grandparents lately. I was SO hesitant when we moved in. It was the day that I got back from Thailand when I was told "Oh, by the way, we're moving!". Yes, it was unpleasant.

Turns out, God had a plan. Shocking, I know. Beth Moore says in one of her books, Breaking Free:
"The ability to believe God develops most often through pure experience. 'I found Him faithful yesterday. He will not be unfaithful today.'"
Can't wait till I finally grasp that. I have a hard time believing; many people do. But that's another story, another time, another blog. =D

We moved into my grandparents house and you know what I found: God.
His love was written on the walls, His peace is palpable in this household.

I don't live with my dad and it's rare that I notice it. The first year was hell, but it's pretty much uphill from there. So, I never really realize the absence of my father. & he's not really that absent. We spend time together & everything. But even just the physical absence of a male in my home has dried me up so much that I find myself looking for ways to please my grandfather. I keep my room extra clean, I do the dishes, if he asks me to do something I try to go above and beyond his expectations. His acceptance matters so much to me. And, it made me realize why God gave us fathers. At least, one of many reasons; because he wants us to show Himself to us. He wants us to see how much more He can accept and love us. He wants us to look for ways to please Him, He wants to see us going out of our way to hear "Well done."

I want that so bad.

"He said to me, "You are My son; today I have become your Father. Ask of Me, and I will make the nations your inheritance and the ends of the earth your possession."
Psalms 2:7&8

No comments: